Semi-Random Thoughts:
I grew up in a moderate Baptist church. I consider Smoke Rise home. Growing up, all my close friends were "church going people." When Emily Waddell Brown & I met in 4th grade, I went home to my parents and said in amazement, "Mom, Emily goes to church as much as I do!" Emily's Dad was the Minister of Music & her Mom was the church organist. I really appreciate my Christian upbringing. Ralph grew up in a Christian family too. We will raise our children with similiar Christian values.
I believe in Heaven/Hell. I believe the way to Heaven is professing your belief in Jesus and that He was crucified, dead, buried & resurrected. I do not believe that God sent Hurricane Katrina to punish the people of New Orleans. I do believe that God cares about little 'ole me. I do look for little signs of God's presence in my life; I've called them mini-miracles before. You might say good luck. I do believe that sometimes bad things just happen to good people & sometimes life just sucks. I don't think too much about Satan. I don't go around saying, "Ohhhh the Devil is working." I try not to blame God when things suck; I'm usually a positive person. There have been many times when I don't understand why things happen the way they do. And it's really not for me to figure out Life. I believe in God's grace, mercy & unconditional love.
In the last few years, I have developed close friendships with people of different religions & people who don't believe in God. I have learned a lot from them actually - how they view life, death, the purpose of men/women on Earth, their views on religion, why they believe what they do, etc. There are pieces and practices of what they believe that I appreciate-meditation, benevolent spirit, truly caring for the Earth. Hopefully they have learned something from me too. I am not a "Bible beater"; I respect other people's views on God, religion, spirituality.
Lately, I have found that running & yoga have been spiritual experiences for me-it allows me to be reflective and really learn a lot of things about myself-sometimes moreso than attending an 11:00 church service (oh horrors). Also, being out in nature can be spiritual for me - whether it's hiking in the quiet woods or walking along the beach, or walking with the dog in a park.
So lately, maybe I consider myself more spiritual than religious. I'm learning a lot about myself, God, my relationships and life, while I'm alone and with others, and while I'm running, practicing yoga, journaling... I still consider Smoke Rise home. I also know that a relationship with God is more than going to Sunday School, church, Sunday night church, singing in choir, teaching Bible School, giving my 10% tithe, being a deacon, being an usher, serving on committees, teaching children's choir, working in the church nursery, going to Wednesday night church, attending church on Easter & Christmas... It's personal to me.
This post was difficult for me to write. It was hard to put these thoughts in writing. I'm sure there are things I haven't said. So don't take this post as The Law. Just take them as musings.
I enjoyed this post, it was very thought provoking. Kinda scary, but we think a lot alike.I hope you are enjoying your summer!
ReplyDeleteWell said Joanie!!
ReplyDelete