Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 19: disrespecting my parents

I'm 33 years old and I respect my parents significantly more now than I did when I was younger. I appreciate them much more too. I "get" them now. Maybe not totally because I'm not a parent yet. I know how much I love Nate & Charlie, my nephews, my own blood relatives. I can't imagine loving anyone more than that. I guess I'll figure it out whenever I have kids. So....that's how much my parents love me (and my sister). So sometimes I feel guilty for all the times I disrespected them. Let's be honest; even in my adulthood, I'm sure that I've disrespected them. And, as an adult, you can't chalk that up to "just being a teenager." Relationships are hard work. I do understand how they will always be my parents and I will always be their little girl (aka: brat). And I'm thankful that we work to have an adult relationship with each other. My parents don't agree with everything I do, but there is still a level of respect and vice versa. As I get older and the more work I do as a counselor, the more thankful I am for my upbringing and secure family environment. I know families who constantly disrespect each other. Whether they know it or not, that disrespect bleeds into all their relationships in and outside of their immediate family. It's sickening. So whenever I have kids, I hope to instill a deep sense of respect from an early age. I will respect my children; they will respect me. And then one day, they will "just be a teenager." :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment