Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 21: one of my favorite shows

I. Love. Barefoot. Contessa.

That's the first show I thought after reading this topic. I don't watch reality tv. I don't watch American Idol. I don't watch Hoarders. I don't watch Swamp People. I don't watch a lot of things.  Actually, right now, I don't watch Barefoot Contessa either. We dumped cable last summer after Ralph got laid off. For the past year, we only get local channels (2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 30, 36, 46 - I can spout those off in about 5 seconds). So I miss The Food Network. I miss Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten). Her show makes me feel good. Her show also makes me hungry.

This is her newest book: Back To Basics.  It has a delicious cucumber salad recipe.  Here's the recipe.  I love it.

Creamy Cucumber Salad


4 hothouse (seedless) cucumbers, thinly sliced (3-4 pounds) (don't need peeling)
2 small red onions, thinly sliced in half rounds
kosher salt
4 cups (32 oz) plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
2 Tbs champagne vinegar or white vinegar
1/2 cup minced fresh dill
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper


Mix the cucumbers, red onions and 1 1/2 Tbs of salt in a bowl.  Pour them into a colander and suspend over a bowl.  Wrap the bowl and colander in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to drain for at least 4 hours or overnight.  Discard the liquid that collects in the bowl. 


Pour the yogurt into a sieve lined with a paper towel and suspend it over another bowl.  Wrap the bowl and sieve in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.  Discard the liquid that collects in the second bowl.


When the cucumbers are ready, roll them up in paper towels or a kitchen towel and press the towel lightly to remove most of the liquid.  Place the cucumbers and yogurt in a large bowl with the sour cream, vinegar, dill, 2 tsp salt, and the pepper.  Toss well and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend.  Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment