My April 21 post stated that I was leaving Magill to be the only counselor at Anderson-Livsey Elem next year because I was displaced. Keep reading for the revised story...
A month ago we had a faculty meeting. Our principal announced that we would be considered a Title 1 school for next year, meaning we will receive federal funding for programs, staff, etc due to our percentage of free/reduced lunch kids. There are different levels of Title 1 & the money doesn't necessarily come immediately. But hopefully we will benefit from being Title 1 quickly.
At any rate, a quick thought entered my mind during that faculty meeting, "wonder what that might mean for me?" (Back in January, when I heard that I was being displaced my principal said IF we ever got Title 1 she could work to keep me there.) The next day, she came to me and said she was talking to HR about keeping me at Magill. A couple hours later she came back and said, "Okay, it's done!" My brain started adjusting to the news. It has been a long roller coaster since January & I was ready to get off the ride! I had geared myself up to leave Magill and prove to myself that I could make things work well at Anderson-Livsey. So the news that I'm staying at Magill took awhile to sink in! Don't get me wrong, I'm relieved & amazed at how thing have worked out. I never thought things would happen this way.
We kept the news quiet for a few weeks to let paperwork iron out between the 2 schools. Last week the word got out & it is official that I'll be there next year. The staff has been very sweet & supportive. I'm thankful for that.
As the news continues to sink in, I realize how thankful I am to stay - as I said goodbye to the kids on Friday & told them to have a great summer, I am so glad to not say goodbye for good. I treasure the relationships with my counseling partners & the AP's. I also realize how challenging things would be for me if I left and maybe I'm not quite ready to be on my own yet. Someday. Maybe that would be too much stress for next year, while other things in my life are stressful enough.
I don't know what the future holds, but I have faith that something bigger than me can see the big picture. I can look back on many situations to see how things have worked for good. I will work to keep that faith, in all areas of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment