Thursday, April 21, 2011

Next year

So, I finally know what my plans are for next school year. In January, I found out that my counseling position was displaced part time for next year. I had 3 options: 1) drop to part time, 2) Magill part-time & be placed somewhere else part-time (could be elem, middle or high), 3) leave Magill & hope for a counseling position somewhere else full-time (could be elem, middle or high). After much thought I decided option 2. However, life had other plans for me! Nothing part-time ever came up. I had two interviews for full-time positions. One at Duncan Creek Elem (Hamilton Mill area). The interview went great, the school seems wonderful; however, I was not offered that position. Yes, I was discouraged, but I tried to remain positive that something would come up! A week later, I got an email asking me to interview at Anderson-Livsey Elem (Shiloh cluster). I went to the interview; it went well, I felt positive & confident about my abilities. I felt that I would be a good fit for the school. A couple days later, I was offered the position and I accepted it. I will be the only counselor at Anderson-Livsey next year with 700 students - 70% Black, 20% Hispanic, 10% White - in the "Promised Land" community of Gwinnett County. It has a strong history. I want to learn more about the people & the history of the area.

I am excited about the opportunity. I will be able to create my own counseling program; I'll start small & grow. I am nervous about the opportunity too. I will remain in close communication with my counselor friends around the county. I pray for a good working relationship with the administration and teachers. I am looking forward to a school of 700 students, that's half the size of Magill. The first school I taught in, in Warner Robins, had about 700 kids & I loved it.

I am thankful to have a full-time job, with full-time pay. I am ultimately thankful that I'm not split between two schools, because it oftentimes leaves the future unknown about where you will land full-time. This displacement experience is something I never would have chosen for myself, but I have learned a lot. Life is never easy, we can't always predict what life will give us. I tell people that I think God decided I needed a change, so He plucked me up and is dropping me at Anderson-Livsey. I must be needed there, so okay then.

I will be sad to leave Magill - I will miss the people a great deal & the students. Anderson-Livsey will be my 5th school to work in - I've realized that with every new school I go to, there is always a "grieving" of sorts for the school that I leave. My current students don't know that I won't be at Magill next year. I may tell a few of them, but not everyone. My official displacement paperwork is not completed yet; however, I hope that will happen smoothly! I'll be busy packing, moving, and unpacking soon. I'm looking forward to the adventure that comes! For my Magill friends, thank goodness for Facebook, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment